Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gauge? What's gauge?

First off, let me say that I did not knit these. Those who know me know that I am not too fond of the gauge swatch. So far I prefer to knit things that have a certain flexibility in their sizing. =)
I bought these longies off of Mothering Dot Community a few years back before I knew too much about either knitting or proper sizing of wool soakers. Shortly after these arrived in the mail they were dubbed "The Clown Pants." They are just so wrong on so many levels.


They measure 17 inches. Everywhere. No matter where you are measuring. The rise? 17 inches. Legs? 17 inches. Width across? You guessed it....17 inches. They are HUGE!!! Like ginormous. Like you could fit TWO 4 year olds in these at the same time. It made me a little bit sad today when I found them while cleaning out my sewing room. Obviously whoever knit these had knitting skill. They used short rows in the seat, nicely done cuffs on the bottom, no dropped or missed stitches anywhere, and an I-cord for the drawstring. I'm not sure why they didn't notice the SIZE. So I decided to unravel them to at least save the yarn. I love the colors, from orange to teal and purple, and back again. (Not too fond of the pooling, but maybe a different pattern or project would knit up differently.)


I am wrapping it around one of my widest quilting rulers for right now. The colors really are very pleasing. Kind of reminds me of goldfish for some reason...

No comments:

Post a Comment